Monday, March 2, 2009

[softball season]

[Bobby Sox 1995]
Today we had tryouts for softball - I coach at Hurricane High School for those of you who didn't know, where I played all four years of high school. It's my second season with this team and I have high hopes. Even though I've been an Southern Indiana softball alumni now for almost 3 years {weird} I still get a little Uncle Rico on the subject. I guess I'm just not ready to give up fast-pitch softball and settle for the slow stuff. This is a sport that I've played since I was 5. I started out in California playing Bobby Sox Softball with great coaches and made some great friends. When we moved from Cali, I had to wait a couple more years until I was a freshman to tryout for the high school team. I played all four years and then almost gave it up. Thanks to my friend Amber, who was going to Western Nebraska Community College to play volleyball, I decided to tryout for their softball team and made it. After graduating from the NJCAA (DI) school with my associates degree, I was picked up by the University of Southern Indiana NCAA (DII) to finish up my eligibility. I then had the opportunity to play in Australia with some other college girls for a couple of weeks. I stuck around Evansville another year after that to finish up my degree and got to be a student assistant coach in the meantime. Its been a great experience that has taught me a lot about not only softball but about me and about major issues in life. I'm really glad that I didn't stop playing after high school - I wouldn't trade it for the world and am now appreciative that I get to teach other girls on of the greatest games in the world - and speaking of coaching, I may be doing some private lessons this summer if you or anyone you know may be interested.

[HS senior year]
[WNCC freshman year]
[WNCC sophomore year]
[USI junior year]
[USI senior year]

No comments: