Sunday, March 8, 2009

my kid is falling apart

Not really... but amongst softball and school this last week, Jorel ended up getting a good ear ache. After 2 nights of him tugging at his ear and drops not helping, I called the doc and took him in last Wednesday, it didn't take very long to confirm that he had an ear infection so he got some antibiotics for that. I had a couple of other concerns about J that I needed to bring up anyway, plus you could tell that he was in quite a bit of pain - although such the trooper! So while the doc was checking his ears, I asked him a couple of more questions - 1) was that I thought that he might have eczema on his leg, which was confirmed - and 2) was that he had a bulge on his little scrotum - SO not normal! He didn't check because he knew he wouldn't see anything, but the symptoms were leading to either a hernia or a hydrocele. Basically a hernia is when there is a weak spot in the lining of usually the stomach or such where your insides try to get out... and a hydrocele is a fluid-filled sac around a testicle that may cause the scrotum to swell. Poor little guy... so I had to take him in for an ultrasound on Thursday. The results were back later that day and, since I was at softball practice, my mom had the info for me when I got home. The ultrasound confirmed that it could be either one - hernia or hydrocele - and both would have to be fixed so I had to get him an appointment to have surgery! :( I just feel so bad for the poor little guy, he doesn't even know what's coming, but I guess he won"t remember it either. The word 'surgery' just seems so big for someone so small - even though I had hernia surgery when I was about the same age - I've still got that scar! I know its not something too big to worry about, but I am so grateful that it isn't anything worse... and my heart goes out to those parents that have had to endure worse. So this next Thursday we'll be in the operating room either fixing a hernia or a hydrocele... I guess we'll find out when we get there?

Regardless of all that is going on with the poor kid, he's still playing on (and his hair is getting so long - the cutest is all the curls he's getting in the back!)


7 comments:

Lori said...

He is getting so Big. I guess that's what happens though. Good luck on Thursday. I'm sure everything will go well with the surgery.

Annalie said...

My son, Jay, had testicular hernias on both sides and had to have surgery to fix them. It was actually a really quick surgery and after two days of a bit of pain he was back to normal! He doesn't even remember having it either, he thinks his scars came from falling down and we have to remind him that it was from his surgery. Anyway, good luck with it, its not so bad!

Heather said...

I'm so sorry to hear about little Jorel having to go in for surgery. It is the worst possible feeling when your little one is sick or hurting and you can't do anything but cuddle them and try to comfort them. Good luck with everything and give us an update when he gets out of surgery. Hang in there girl!

dxeechick said...

I will be there to help distribute love and hugs before the surgery (to him AND you!)

XOXO

Sky and Melissa said...

Surgery is scary def. more scary for us the parents. Annabel had 2 hernia's that she had to have surgery on when she was just a little over 2. She had an umbilical hernia and a gastric hernia. They went through her belly button so there is no scars and she doesn't even remember! Good luck with it all, and I will be thinking of him!

The Wrights said...

Awww the poor little dude. Let me know if you need ANYTHING!! We'll be thinking of the both of you... LovEs!

Dj,Megs,Trey,Pace said...

Poor little Jorel! Hope that everything goes well with surgery. He is so adorable! That is cool that you have relatives that are up my way. We love it down here and love Queen Creek. It has the small town feel which we both love.