Sunday, March 22, 2009

the update

Doesn't he look so grown up?
Surgery went pretty well last Wednesday. We headed in on a early 6:15 a.m. appointment so he didn't even wake up until we got there, which was good because he would have probably been so grumpy because he would want to eat and couldn't. Funny story about the time - the receptionist had called and asked us to be there by 5:45 a.m and then called back and said that she didn't catch that he was so young and to bring him in instead at 6:15. I chuckled after I hung up the phone because... well, what's a half an hour at that time? Luckily Ron's an early riser and didn't mind driving us down. We sat around the room for a little while where Jorel was waving bye to all the people that walked by - he even climbed on my lap, said up and waved bye as in telling me he was NOT going to stay. The nurses brought him in some meds to reduce his anxiety and that seemed to work okay. Then off he went with the anesthesiologist without much of a fight. About an hour later the surgeon, Dr. Ryan Lewis (very explanatory and good) came out and told me the status. Said he did great and everything went very well. He was still in the recovery room and I'd be able to see him in about 30 min. After we went back to see him, the nurses handed him to me and he was SO passed out, well, not when the nurses were prodding him, he really just wanted to be left alone. When they moved him, his IV was having trouble so 2 of them were hovering over us. Well, I definitely take after my mom because as this was going on, the smell of surgery and the anesthestics were crawling into my nose and since I hadn't really ate anything - I almost fainted! I couldn't believe it and I was kind of embarrased, but I snapped out of it and my color returned... so it was okay, but super funny. Jorel had a hard time waking up, but we finally got home around noon and he slept until about 3. Then he got up and played as much as his body would let him and slept again from 6 to about 8 and was up until 10. You wouldn't have guessed he had surgery later in the day cause he decided he wanted to run around the table a bit. He's doing pretty good, a little fussy at times, but that's probably not from the surgery! He's just a complainer some times, he's a baby :) Anyway, there's my detailed long post about Jorel's day.

He really was just unhappy that I took the camera away

My Fainting Chair

The Incision

Also on that day, Hurricane's Wal-Mart opened. Markus and I went on Friday to check it out and it is pretty nice. I guess it always helps that it is so clean right now and I just oh so hope that it can stay clean! They even had an Indiana Jones made out of LEGOs - I should've taken a picture, it was pretty amazing, haha. J was also definitely back to normal for the most part yesterday and today just running around like crazy and getting into everything!

@ the new Wal-Mart

Being a Goof

Oh and all you moms out there: I so apologize for taking so long to get us together! We're going to plan for sometime in April - How many can make it on Thursday the 9th around 10:30? Let me know! I would also like to extend this invite to Dad's too... didn't mean to leave you out, but you are all totally invited!

5 comments:

Lisa Stapley said...

What a little trooper.. i'm glad that everything went okay for his surgery. Poor little man.

Sky and Melissa said...

I am glad everything went well for him! And that he bounced back so well. :)

countrygirl said...

I am glad that everything went well, I think its harder on the parents sometimes we worry so! take care of yourself and that rascal! love ya,

Lara said...

Oh I'm so glad Little J is okay! I must confess, I saw the picture of his sad little face before I read the caption and totally started to well up with tears...don't do that to me! Auntie's have weak hearts. Miss you tons!

dani said...

awww, that scar made me wince... looks like the little guy did ok, though! it always makes me laugh when steve talks about his hernia surgery. he claims he has vivid memories-haha. :) he was like two or something...